This Diner

Here's another one for the sub-genre of "diner songs."  To me, diners and bowling alleys are the rest stops and crossroads of ordinary people going about their lives.  Fertile ground.

So scrapple is a big thing in east coast diners.  It's unclear what it is, but that doesn't matter.  

Also, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away?" C'mon.

 

"This Diner"

Instrumentation: guitar, mandolin


Have you ever felt so disconnected

That no number of cups of coffee could ever get your thoughts collected

And you try to find the place in your brain where the words are

And it's as empty as a Salt Lake City bar


It ain't that it's such a bad thing at all

You see, I just got off this insurance company phone call

It turns out that being spaced out isn't covered by my plan

Heck, I treat this better than any doctor can


I'll just go to that diner with you

We'll order up some greasy food

Watch the day pass by

With a plateful of gravy and fries

We won't do nothing today

Except learn new songs to play

A slab of scrapple a day may not keep the doctor away

But at this diner, your worries go to die


What some people call procrastination or a little less lucrative

I call a darn good sense of perspective

There's always one more thing to add to my to-do list

But I figure, why do it, if it's another hand-cuff on the wrist


So I'll just watch another John Wayne movie

'Cause running out to Sam's Club for a 75 oz can of bans just don't move me

If I had my druthers I'd be the Duke down to his leather-skinned core

But I could never commit to the role with one foot out the revolving door


To that diner where I'm sitting with you...


Ok, so there's a lipstick stain on your water glass

And a hair that isn't yours in your corned beef hash

Some might this causes the place to lose its allure

I prefer to think of it as its own personal signature


It's a hand-written letter to your impersonal email

It's a Pabst Blue Ribbon to your cosmopolitan cocktail

Just promise me one thing

Don't send it back to that kitchen like some nit-wit, idiot...'cause you know what happens


At this diner where I'm sitting with you...


A slab of scrapple a day may, in fact, keep the doctor away

'Cause at this diner, your worries go to die

Comments

Popular Posts