Hand-Me-Downs

Listen 

As I write these notes, this is my favorite song that I've written.  There's no objective reason for this.  I just like it.

I wrote this when my daughter was three years old, but the end of the song imagines that's she's older.  She's the one with the braided hair and the "dagger" stare...

"Hand-Me-Downs"

Instrumentation: guitar, ukulele

I remember when your brother wore this shirt

When the colors weren't so faded

I'd pull it over his head and watch his arms slide through

And off he'd go to that which never waited


Here you sit, and you're wearing it

Turning pages of a book upside down

Braided hair, and you've got that dagger stare

Slaying all around without a sound


And there's that stain from the Easter egg dye

From the year your brother dumped it on the floor

That spot of pastel green on the left sleeve

Leaves yesterday seeping under the door


Come on in.


I remember when you'd walk up on your toes

Mismatched socks you'd be wearing

And we'd climb up in that rocking chair

A seat for one we'd be sharing


Now there you sit, and you've changed quite a bit

Turning pages of a book of photographs

Though you've changed your hair, you've still got that dagger stare

And I don't know whether to cry or to laugh


And there's that pair of shoes that you outgrew long ago

In the corner, by the closet, on the floor

Why you kept them around I never have asked

But they leave yesterday sneaking up to the door


Come on in.

Comments

Popular Posts