Same Old Lines

This is from the 2007ish era.  For me, 2005-2006 were marked with loss and rebirth.  Music was a lifeline, and much of the music was played with my good friend Dan.  A common Monday for us (um, after work) involved trading Prine and Townes songs while enjoying the half-price Jerry's pizza deal (a Monday mainstay).  Because man does not live on bread alone, there was frequently a beverage as well.  Occasionally evenings like this would end at the Tastee Diner, a Bethesda institution.  When I moved to Chicago, I found that diners existed there, too.  But my friend Dan is one of a kind. 


"Same Old Lines"

Instrumentation: guitar


With nothing left but a guitar, a song, and a friend

I went out seeking what was beyond the end

The end of a verse many lines long

Leading to a refrain to continue the song


Thanks God I had you singing with me

In broken, yet true, harmony

Now the songs don't seem so old

They're alive again and they broke the old mold


So sing this song with your hand in mine

You've heard it before but in a different time

Funny how the same old lines

Uncover new truths for the present time


It's a different diner in a different city

But the coffee's just as black and the grits just as gritty

Patsy Cline on the jukebox

We raided the vault and we tore off the locks


So sing this song... 

Comments

Popular Posts