Long Drives
This is my attempt at a cinematic song. A movie in 6 minutes. It started, I think, with the opening lines (songs don't always start that way) as I was, you guessed it, on a long road trip observing the white segmented lines on the road darting past our car like, well, darts missing a dartboard.
Most of my songs come from within my own experience, but this one does not (with the exception of the opening lines). I've always admired writers who seemingly effortlessly write songs about a context that they don't live. This is my attempt.
I once heard Tom Waits say that songs need to have place names and weather...hence the Iowa towns and the rain. Also, crossing a river to some form of liberation and redemption is maybe one of the most universal images...so I made a withdrawal from that bank, too.
"Long Drives"
Instrumentation: electric guitar, cello/keyboard
Highway lines shoot right past
Like darts missing the board
Rows of corn emerge from the fields
Like memories seeking not to be ignored
10 miles east of Dubuque
Driving west to see my son
The life that's next is always west
Cast a line and your sinker's the sun
Cross the Mississippi to escape a plague
Blood in the water and my son estranged
Less than a quarter tank, better stop here
As I slide in my credit card, it starts to rain
It rained so hard, I just sat in my car
And watched the clerk stock the shelves
Then I walked in, but I couldn't hide
From the fact that I'd been kidding myself
We get in cars and drive real far
All the while chasing a sinking sun
The farther you go around this globe
The closer you get to where you'd begun
I lay three bucks down before the clerk
For the coffee that would keep me awake
As I walked outside, in the reflection of the door
Was a picture in a frame saying "Happy Fathers' Day"
I stopped and I turned, the clerk unconcerned
I asked him if that was his son
He nodded and bit his lower lip
Said he hadn't seen him since September 2001
We get in cars...
Having heard the clerk, I let him get back to his work
His story swirling in my head
A Route 20 convenience store gave me much more
I came for coffee and got kinship instead
As I turned the key and pulled out to leave
The radio played the song
That I sang to my son when he was one
Before it all went wrong
As I entered Dyersville, the air got still
But my mind raced with thoughts of regret
I pulled over to look up the address
Of the man whom I hadn't yet me
I approached the house, with nothing to say
Like a child lost in the midst of a crowd
But when I rang that bell, I crossed out of that hell
Hearing the footsteps of my son's son so loud
We get in cars...
Comments
Post a Comment