Listening to My Life in the Hall

In February 2020, I got a nasty case of the flu.  Maybe it was COVID-19, who knows.  But for about three days I was in bed in an altered state of reality.  On one of those nights, this song happened.  Quite literally.  Nothing to add.


"Listening to My Life in the Hall"

Instrumentation: guitar, mandolin


In the fog of the flu, quarantined

Listening to my life out in the hall

Giant steps, tiny feet, high voices on repeat

I close my eyes and see it all


There's a woman telling stories to the little crazies

Who are bunched up in someone's bed

It's hard to tell whose, but it doesn't really matter

'Cause I see it all so plainly in my head


She's telling our kids of her life's adventures

As I lie hear feeling like death

But never have I felt more alive

With a love singing under my breath


And a smile creeps across my face

As I gaze at the tissues on the floor

And I listen to the sounds of my life

Singing out to me from outside that door


You know, it's strange but it's true

How you can love someone even more as time rolls on

But more amazing still, this person I love

Makes time kneel in perpetual dawn

Comments

Popular Posts