The Pier
I believe that mystical experiences can grab hold of us from within ordinary "stuff." On one summer night in 2007, I sat next to my best friend on a pier in Rogers Park in Chicago. We decided to lie down so we could look at the sky, and we used our flip-flops as pillows for our heads. That moment became this song.
"The Pier"
Instrumentation: lots of guitars
Ripples in the lake whisper words so faint
No ears could hear them
But our hearts receive the summer's night's saint
Saying, "Pay attention, open your eyes, trust what's real, arise"
So we lay down, backs on the pier
Heads on our flip-flops, eyes on stars so clear
We swear we saw the heavens tear into two
Giving the stars room to say, "I love you, too"
And I...I love you, too
Winter ripples stand still
A moment frozen in boundless time
Accepting the mystery without reason
But maybe with the help of a rhyme
These words fall short, like grabbing the wind
This song's but a shadow in the light of where we've been
But the heavens burst open in the blink of your eye
And I believe I catch a glimpse of heaven
As lovely as you and I
Beautiful, this reminds me of my hubby lol xoxoxox <33 <333
ReplyDelete