Something to Be Said for Silence

 Listen

This is a love letter to sound.  Have you ever been silent in a quiet place and just listened to the subtle sounds you hear?  I love that. Ticking clocks, hissing radiators, creaking floors, distant trains.  It's all music.


"Something to Be Said for Silence"

Instrumentation: guitar, piano


There's something to be said for silence

So if you've got something to say, keep it down

All this noise does nothing but violence

And keeps the noodle in my head unwound


The crunch of the leaves below my feet 

Is percussion for a song on the wind

The rumble of a train that's cutting through the rain 

Leads me back to the chorus again


Of a song I've heard not enough lately 

As I try to detach from my phone

All these flickering lights are depressing me greatly

I've forgotten how to be alone


But if I flip my eyes outside in

And my ears inside out

I see where all the songs begin

And hear what silence can shout


The sound of a breath between my teeth

Is kinda like the body's white noise

Composed of all the sounds from underneath

Giving each cell a voice



Comments

Popular Posts