Raindrops on a Taxi Hood

Listen 

This song comes from the 2007-2008 range, shortly after I moved to Chicago.  I enjoy songs that run straight through with no interruption - no chorus, no bridge - just a bunch of words strung together like an unrelenting freight train.  I think that's what I'm hoping to do with this song.  The only thing that holds it together is the raindrops image.

It's a "got-nothing-left-to-lose" love song.  It's no "Thunder Road,"  but I like it. 



"Raindrops on a Taxi Hood"

Instrumentation: guitars, mandolin

Raindrops on a taxi hood 

ain't ever sounded so good

I hand a crumpled up 20 to the driver

I'm a walkin', talkin' long loneliness survivor


Walkin' up the steps to your door

I ain't never needed this more

Say no words, just listen to me

I've got a story to tell, you'll see


The rain kept pouring and the wind picked up

She said, "C'mon in, can I get you a cup

of coffee from some far-off place?"

All I could think of was the look on her face


From the other night as she smiled at me

As she crossed her legs so gracefully

I've been stuck in that moment for a week or so

Like an '87 Camry in a foot of snow


"No thanks, I'm fine.  All I really need

Is a big ol' heart like yours to feed

I've been spilling blood all over the place

Inside of me I've been running out of space


For the words and tunes under lock and key

It seems you've unlocked me and set them free

They'll buzz around like a hive of bees

They might sting you once, but then you'll see


That they get you up and out on your feet

'Til you're hailing a cab on some empty street

To get to a place you think you've been before,

But you want to go again, 'cause you know there's more


And you tell the driver, 'Yeah, this looks right.'

'Though the place looks different in the dark of the night

And it's something new altogether, 

More than just a change in the weather."


So that takes us to the present moment

Can you tell me where you are, just give me a hint

The look in your eye is a jukebox with every

Love song I've ever heard that send me


To the next morning by your side

With a love so strong, even God cried

Raindrops never sounded so good

Tapping on your window like the tears of God should 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts