Drifters, Loners, and Thieves

Listen 

I have always loved diners.  I also enjoy songs that are like musical still-lifes.  Well, this is a musical still-life about a diner mug.


"Drifters, Loners, and Thieves"

Instrumentation: guitar


Diner mug, worn and chipped

From 60 years of coffee sipped

Warming up, waking up drifters, loners, and thieves


It's alone on a counter upside down

Waiting for the weakest coffee in town

Alive turns it around for drifters, loners, and me


Drifters, loners, and thieves

Sit down at the counter and roll up your sleeves

From this cup take a sip, on this stool you'll sit

Join all the drifters, loners, and thieves


I'm alone at the counter, talking with Alice

My hands around that ceramic chalice

Alice turns me around; I'm no longer a drifter, loner, or thief


Don't cast me aside

Don't put me on the shelf

I'm not who I used to be

Return me to myself


Diner mug, worn and chipped

From 60 years of coffee sipped

Warming up, waking up drifters, loners, and me

Comments

Popular Posts