Crayola Castle

 Listen

Here's a song in the 2018-2020 range.  I was going for all of these images where something is either crooked, crossed, askew, leaning, or a little off-kilter.  Perfection in the imperfect.  Drawing straight with crooked lines.


"Crayola Castle"

Instrumentation: guitar, bass

The earth is tilted on its axis, an old traveler leaning on his cane

We're all a little crooked you know, like windows cracked open in the rain

When you tilt your head as you ask, "How many miles to the moon?"

I lean on my left leg and cross my arms and dream up another answer half-true


You draw with crooked lines, an old house full of dreams

I swear we live inside; that crayola castle is more real than it seems


Now I notice the scratches on this floor, since I broke my leg thinking I was 4

Like ancient markings I never noticed before, now i sit in a chair like I'm 84


That weeping willow seems to lean to one side, like a wounded warrior with a story to tell

Branches hanging down reaching for their roots, like the sound of ringing reaching for a bell


You draw with...




Comments

Popular Posts